Founded in 2009, the Sustainable Native Communities Collaborative, an initiative of Enterprise Community Partners, supports culturally and environmentally sustainable affordable housing appropriate to American Indian communities nationwide. Through technical assistance and research of best practices, the Collaborative helps tribal communities reduce their impact on the natural world, gain self-sufficiency and provide solutions for culturally appropriate, healthy and affordable homes.
Help build capacity within tribal communities through building relationships, focused on core values specific to each place and rooted culture, community, and landscape.
That each sovereign nation realizes its full capacity for building healthy communities that celebrate and sustain culture, nature, and spirit.
What we do
The Collaborative provides on the ground hands-on technical and design assistance to tribal communities nationwide.
- Culturally appropriate healthy affordable home design and planning.
- Community based engagement process, working directly with community members.
- Promoting green sustainable rating systems that work in tribal communities.
- Work directly with communities interested in sustainable development.
- Document best practices and researching exemplary case studies to measure success in terms of the different cultural, economic, environmental and social values inherent to each community.